4169[TalkAntietam] Re: ANVa Supply Trains

    Feb 1, 2008
      I will look and see what else I can find. I think Lee was using the river to protect his trains preparatory to re-entering Maryland at Williamsport. Even after he retreated on the 18th/19th his intent was to re-cross the river there and move towards Hagerstown. Giving the wagons a head start would open the roads for his infantry to move quickly. As you know, he had artillery detached to guard Shepherdstown Ford and Light's Ford, and Stuart did go to Williamsport on the 19th to lead the way.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "dean_essig" <dean_essig@...> 2/1/2008 2:24 PM >>>
      Tom it is... glad to meet you, sir!

      Excellent information, that helps me spot the trains on the map.

      The artillery problem is an issue I'll need to resolve. I don't recall Reilly (who at least
      mentioned going back to look) or anyone else suggesting they had to ford the Potomac to
      get a re-supply of artillery ammunition. So, this indirectly suggests that what stocks they
      had available were in the Md side trains.

      Leaving me wondering what it was Lee was protecting across the river.

      Do you know of any other battery commanders recollections about the rather mundane
      matters of ammunition resupply on that day?

      > Dean,
      > I keep meaning to tell you, nobody calls me Thomas, Tom is just fine. I think you have it
      correctly stated. Location of the Artillery Reserve trains, such as they were with the loss of
      many near Williamsport, is likely across the river, however I think some of it was forwarded
      on the 18th as Lee called for gathering stragglers and ammo resupply. Going from
      memory, but in Lee's comments about his HQ tent he describes it as 1 & 1/4 miles from
      Cemetery Hill, (I think) making the two miles just about on Mt. Airy, the Grove family farm.
      That would also be logical for there was access to water and lots of fields to park a wagon
      train there.

      > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      > Thomas,
      >
      > Reviewed the cited sections. All seems to be resolved but one matter.
      >
      > What we know:
      > 1) The non-Ammunition trains are in Shepherdstown. Getting there at various dates.
      > Hood's were escorted to his division so the Texans could get some food.
      >
      > 2) Small arms ammuntion trains were ordered back into Md and positioned "2 miles to
      the
      > rear" (that distance is mentioned in several places, but w/o a reference as to rear of
      what
      > or who).
      >
      > The one thing (two parts) that we don't know is:
      > 1a) Were the Army Reserve Ammunition trains still in Virgina? Harsh believes so.
      >
      > 1b) Was there artillery ammunition in the trains that were sent back into Md? This is
      > interesting because it seems that Lee kept the Reserve Trains across the river to avoid
      > losing artillery ammunition.
      >
      > Am I off on any of the above and is there any answer to the unknowns?
      >
      > Dean
      >

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dean,
      > > The info on the trains is mentioned in Chapter 8 of Taken at the Flood, pp. 338-9
      > footnotes 34 & 37 and also in Sounding the Shallows, pp. 193-4. Let me know if you
      do
      > not have access to those books.
      > >

      > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
      > > Professor of History
      > > Hagerstown Community College

      > > Excellent info, Thomas!
      > >
      > > That would bring all the loose ends together (no mean feat), if I can impose (and
      when
      > you
      > > get a chance) please dig out some sources on the "but ammo" exception.
      > >
      > > You may not have earned a free game yet, but you will by the time this project is done
      > :-)
      > >
      > > Doesn't matter if you don't have time to play it, you'll want a copy of a product that
      has
      > your
      > > name in the research credits I would think. ;-)
      > >
      > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dean,
      > > > I am at work and away from sources, but it is my understanding that all trains
      except
      > > ammo were sent across the river. Thus Hood, looking for food, had to go find his and
      > bring
      > > them forward, while Reilly etc. looking for ammo found theirs near Sharpsburg.
      > Longstreet'
      > > loss was the Reserve Artillery ammo for his command, not all of his trains.
      > > > Hope this helps. Do I get a free copy of the game? :-) just kidding, I don't have
      time
      > > play them.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic