4151Re: Muster dates

  • dean_essig
    Jan 31, 2008
      17th Michigan... found it!

      Gallgher _The Antietam Campaign_ pg 156

      "The 17th commenced forming in late May 1862 and spent the summer drilling under Col.
      James E. Pittman, the state paymaster. Although not mustered into Federal service until
      August 21, the Michiganders should not be considered true rookies. Pittman's drill and
      discipline left the regiment in a "very credible condition." well prepared for the action on
      September 14 that highlighted the difference training made in combat effectiveness."

      The chapter "Volunteers of '62" was where I got a number of the regiments included in my
      list of "green" regiments. I'll go through it again and see if any of the mistaken ones are
      mentioned.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic