4149Re: Muster dates

  • dean_essig
    Jan 31, 2008
      Thanks Gerry! That jives with my notes, I'm still curious how they managed to become
      respectfully drilled in so short of a period of time. Other regiments (with a few more days
      or a week or so) of extra time to prepare were woefully unprepared for battle (like the 13
      NJ).

      I must have run into a reference along the way that suggested they had a fine commander
      or other experienced officers and NCOs that were in a position to get them ready.

      I think I'll have to dig up their regimental history and see if I can figure out why.

      > Dean,
      >
      > IIRC, and Bill can confirm, but the 17th Michigan was green in
      > the sense of never being in battle before. But they are drilled
      > fairly well for a rookie unit going into combat, as opposed to
      > many of the nine month units actually taking the field at
      > Antietam. The 13th NJ for example had not had chance to learn how
      > to load and fire until they actually did so under fire during the
      > battle. Ezra Carman, who was their colonel and wounded during the
      > action, is the same Ezra Carman who spent many years after the
      > War as the unofficial official historian of the battle and wrote
      > the famous manuscript Jake Pierro and Tom Clemens have,
      > independently, been working on.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic