4020Re: Macadamized turnpikes, RR's, etc.

    Jan 16, 2008
      Thanks Tom,

      Any idea about the RR bridge for the Winchester Potomac? Was there a
      RR bridge that carried the WP across the Shenandoah or Potomac near
      HF?

      I wonder if the Macadamized road also had a bad effort upon horses.
      Of course they had shoes but I guess they would last the month that
      they spend in Maryland regardless. I read in Carman that the
      Confederates tried to weed out weaker horses before entering
      Maryland; I also read that some Confederates threw away their shoes
      so they could stay in Virginia.

      > Yes the dates of destruction of bridges, Johnson's orders, are
      correct. Hagerstown Pike and Boonsboro Shepherdstown Pike were
      private toll roads. Although perhaps not of the quality of the
      National Road, both were nominally macademized.
      > There are several accounts of shoeless Confederates being weeded
      out before crossing the Potomac. Supposedly they were sent to
      Winchester to get supplied with shoes and then meet Lee in Hagerstown
      area. Therfore, most rebs in the MD campaign had shoes, or at least
      were supposed to have shoes. I have a newspaper account from a Lt.
      writing his hometown paper about guys left in VA for lack of shoes,
      or other physical ailments.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > If folks have some answers/opinions re the below I'd like to hear
      them
      > but pls don't spend time researching: if you have good specific
      > references pls let me know.
      >
      > Macadamized (crushed rock) roads according to Carman were
      everywhere
      > but he does not say which roads were and to what length or discuss
      the
      > quality of the use of crushed rock. My guess is that the National
      Road
      > was fully macadamized as were many of the main roads leading out of
      > D.C. How about the roads/pikes around Sharpsburg? My question has
      to do
      > with the many barefoot Confederates coming out of Virginia and
      marching
      > around during the Maryland Campaign. Straggling was heavy on both
      sides
      > but wasn't the factor of shod v. unshod feet more of a factor for
      the
      > Confederates? Or are road surfaces during the campaign of very
      minor
      > concern? I wondered about Jackson's slow marches to Martinsburg
      from
      > Frederick and then to HF--barefooted, slow soldiers?
      >
      > I've read that the bridges at Point of Rocks, Shepherdstown, and
      > Brunswick were all burned at Jackson's orders (Johnston's?) on 9
      June
      > 1861--I have 2 references (Robertson: "Stonewall" and
      > Turner "Railroads" showing the RR bridge at HF was blown up on 14
      June.
      > Are these dates correct?
      >
      > The RR bridge at HF was the only bridge across either river in
      1861?
      > But what about the Winchester and Potomac RR; did it cross the
      > Shenendoah at HF or how did it connect with the B&O? I understand
      that
      > during the Maryland Campaign the pontoon bridge above the burned
      B&O RR
      > bridge was the only bridge still intact?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Larry F.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic