4019Re: [TalkAntietam] Macadamized turnpikes, RR's, etc.

    Jan 16, 2008
      Yes the dates of destruction of bridges, Johnson's orders, are correct. Hagerstown Pike and Boonsboro Shepherdstown Pike were private toll roads. Although perhaps not of the quality of the National Road, both were nominally macademized.
      There are several accounts of shoeless Confederates being weeded out before crossing the Potomac. Supposedly they were sent to Winchester to get supplied with shoes and then meet Lee in Hagerstown area. Therfore, most rebs in the MD campaign had shoes, or at least were supposed to have shoes. I have a newspaper account from a Lt. writing his hometown paper about guys left in VA for lack of shoes, or other physical ailments.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 01/16/08 4:46 PM >>>
      If folks have some answers/opinions re the below I'd like to hear them
      but pls don't spend time researching: if you have good specific
      references pls let me know.

      Macadamized (crushed rock) roads according to Carman were everywhere
      but he does not say which roads were and to what length or discuss the
      quality of the use of crushed rock. My guess is that the National Road
      was fully macadamized as were many of the main roads leading out of
      D.C. How about the roads/pikes around Sharpsburg? My question has to do
      with the many barefoot Confederates coming out of Virginia and marching
      around during the Maryland Campaign. Straggling was heavy on both sides
      but wasn't the factor of shod v. unshod feet more of a factor for the
      Confederates? Or are road surfaces during the campaign of very minor
      concern? I wondered about Jackson's slow marches to Martinsburg from
      Frederick and then to HF--barefooted, slow soldiers?

      I've read that the bridges at Point of Rocks, Shepherdstown, and
      Brunswick were all burned at Jackson's orders (Johnston's?) on 9 June
      1861--I have 2 references (Robertson: "Stonewall" and
      Turner "Railroads" showing the RR bridge at HF was blown up on 14 June.
      Are these dates correct?

      The RR bridge at HF was the only bridge across either river in 1861?
      But what about the Winchester and Potomac RR; did it cross the
      Shenendoah at HF or how did it connect with the B&O? I understand that
      during the Maryland Campaign the pontoon bridge above the burned B&O RR
      bridge was the only bridge still intact?

      Thank you,
      Larry F.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic