401Re: [TalkAntietam] George Otott Article in Savas re First Texas and Cornfield

    Dec 18, 2001
      Todd;

      I took some time tonight to read the various webpages you had put
      together regarding what Campbell's Battery could see from both a
      terrain and LOS perspective. Quite illuminating and informative
      indeed. I did not realize that the math for even a single LOS
      would be so complicated!

      You have made a tremendous, IMHO, contribution to the
      understanding of the battle from a relatively small area of the
      field. I can only imagine how historians and other serious
      students of the battle would benefit by more such analysis of the
      various parts of the field. It would be interesting indeed to
      undertake a similar study based on the accounts, etc. from the
      participants of both sides in the Sunken Road and Forty Acre
      Cornfield sectors. I would also wonder if a similar project as
      you undertook for the artillery/infantry action near Miller's
      Cornfield would be possible for where Sumner was ambushed in the
      West Woods. The various folds of the terrain certainly do make
      LOS extremely difficult.

      Excellent work!

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers