3942RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Dec 19, 2007
      I think that Lee lost the initiative in the campaign, as Harsh says, with
      the implementation of SO 191. I agree with his scenario that Lee was
      unaware of the proximity, disposition, and speed of movement of the AotP
      prior to the implementation, and that information should have been provided
      him by Stuart. But it wasn't. IIRC, at one point Stuart advised Lee that
      he expected Federal cavalry in Frederick in about a day or so, and the next
      day the vanguard of the INFANTRY entered the town.

      Maryland 1862 was far from a shining moment for JEB. Check out this
      discussion, since it will save me having to lay all of Harsh's work out
      again:

      http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums
      <http://cwdgonline.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0>
      &file=viewtopic&t=101&start=0