3940Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

    Dec 19, 2007
      Jake,

      I ordered Bridge's book and will plan to check it for Hill's remarks.

      Thank you,
      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > Larry:
      >
      > You mentioned offline that you were looking for possible new
      sources (or at least ones that hadn't been quoted to death) regarding
      cavalry in the camapign.

      > I don't know where you're located, but the Lib of Va has a
      remarkable (and relatively little used) collection of D. H. Hill's
      papers. Knowing Hill's inability to keep silent on nearly ANY issue,
      I wonder if there's anything in his private correspondence about
      Stuart's leaving him to twist in the wind at So. Mtn. (Carman,
      interestingly enough, largely gives Stuart a pass on the whole
      afffair.) Hill's always good for color. (His private comments about
      Roswell Ripley at So. Mtn. are priceless.)

      > There's a finding aid for the collection, but I'd start by giving a
      glance at the old Hal Bridges bio (Lee's Maverick General). Bridges
      made good use of the Lib of Va collection, and his citations should
      be able to direct you to anything worth examining.