3934Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 13 September 1862 Maryland Heights

    Dec 19, 2007
      After leaving Crampton's Gap Stuart rode south to where he thought the
      real fighting would be, Weaverton Cliffs. Like everywhere else that
      day, he was wrong. He personally rode to MD Hts. to consult with
      McLaws, but his command stayerd in Weaverton. When news of the surrender
      reached him he decided he needed to personally carry the news to Lee and
      galloped off to Sharpsburg only to arrive after news had reached him.
      Lee in fact snubbed him, see Taken at the Flood for details. THe
      Maryland Campaign is not the apogee of Stuart's career.

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 12/19/07 7:37 AM >>>
      I think after he rode south from Turner's and posted some troopers at
      Fox's he went to Crampton's Gap leaving more men--but not enough,
      then to McLaws. I'm not clear on his and his remaining troopers
      actions during the time he was with/near McLaws around Maryland
      Heights. Hopefully Carman has good details about his and Hampton's
      activities before he returned to find Crampton's Gap lost.