      From: barringer63
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 10:16 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Hagerstown in General

      Stephen Recker wrote:
      > I think this was in Washington DC.

      In Douglas' obit in the N.Y. Times, the reporter wrote,"After the
      war Gen. Douglas was arrested for having his photograph taken in
      uniform and put in close confinement at Martinsburg, West Va. He was
      sentenced to Fort Delaware for three months and on the way was taken
      to Washington and confined in the penitentiary with Mrs. Surratt and
      others on suspicion that he knew something about the assassination of
      President Lincoln. He was soon released, the charge being unfounded,
      and after serving out his sentence, was released in September, 1865,
      and has since practiced law in Virginia and Maryland, serving as
      Attorney General of Maryland and Judge of the Fifth Judicial
      Circuit." The article also says that Douglas was suffering
      from "mental trouble" at the time of his death.