3842Re: Carman update

  • Brian Richardson
    Oct 29, 2007
      There seems to be no copyright info in the documentation that
      accompanies the map CD sold in the bookstore, but the maps themselves
      have a 1904 date.

      Brian Richardson

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > Yes, the LoC version is a bit odd. There are TWO separate scans of
      the Atlas on the irwebsite, but they're BOTH of the first (1904)
      edition of the Atlas. Why they digitized the same edition twice--
      instead of digitizing one set of each edition--is beyond me

      > How substantive are the changes? That's hard to quantify--but
      Carman and co. felt that enough alterations had been made to justify
      reissuing the entire Atlas four years later. Make of that what you
      will. I can say that in some instances the position of a given
      regiment is substantively changed from one edition to the next, while
      in many others it's simply a matter of correcting a typo on one of
      the maps or adding in a label that was left off of a particular
      plate.

      > I don't have a copy of the Antietam bookstore CD, so I can't say
      which issue it is. Presumably, the original copyright info appears
      somewhere on the disc. If it's 1904, it's the first edition; if 1908,
      it's the 2d.

      > As for Desjardin's Gettysburg maps, the last time I was there
      (about a year or two ago) they were still for sale. If you're
      interested, I'd contact the Eastern National bookshop at the
      Gettysburg VC.

      Atlas
      > plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.
      > >
      > > Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good
      one.
      > About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at
      Gettysburg
      > did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin
      did
      > three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each
      > day).
      > >
      > > Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you
      > woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do
      is
      > repoduce an already extant set of maps.
      > >
      > > From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the
      > image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res
      > scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a
      > sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.

      Books
      > > isn't with us anymore. He managed to find a way to make the full
      > set
      > > of Bachelder maps from Gettysburg available (all 28 maps in full
      > > color) for $250. Now, he just printed them flat and loose (they
      > > shipped them boxed), but it's the closest thing I've seen in
      recent
      > > years to a project like the Carman atlas.
      > > >
      > > > Meanwhile, I urge everyone to email the webmaster of the
      Library
      > of
      > > Congress's "American Memory" project and urge them to scan the
      > > second, REVISED volume of Carman's atlas into their giant digital
      > > database. It's not the PERFECT format, but it beats not having
      > access
      > > to them at all.
      > > >
      > > > Best,
      > > >
      > > > --j