3831Re: Carman update

    Oct 29, 2007
      Are there substantive changes between the two versions of Carman's
      maps? I didn't realize the version on the LOC website is the earlier
      one. Is the CD available in the Antietam bookstore the earlier
      version?

      The problem for me with the 20% smaller copies of the OR Atlas is the
      crease in the pages for the larger maps. Also, some printings of the
      atlas vary in quality re the colors, details,etc. I have two versions
      by different publishers and they are noticably different. So you are
      correct, to make full-size copies of the Carman originals using high
      res is needed. Regiment locations are critical for most serious
      students of the battle so they must be very clear IMO.

      The problem with a non profit like SHAF doing the maps is can the
      cost of the printing be recovered? How many could be sold at $250 a
      set to recoup printing costs? Of course the calculation has to
      include the minimum number a printer would require before it would
      print an order as well as any marketing expenses.

      Are the Gettysburg Desjardin maps still available?

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > That's the key to those maps (and why, after much struggle, my
      publishers decided we couldn't use them in my book). The information
      contained on them is so dense that if you shrink them down to, say,
      any smaller than the modern version of the OR Atlas you find in
      bookstores today (which is about 20% smaller than the ORIGINAL Atlas
      plates) you can't make out the individual regiments.

      > Your idea for a non-profit to undertake the project is a good one.
      About ten years ago, the Friends of the National Parks at Gettysburg
      did something similar, and funded a project whereby Tom Desjardin did
      three new topo and troop position maps of that battle (one for each
      day).

      > Admittedly, the Carman Atlas is 14 maps, not three, but then you
      woulnd't have any cartographic costs involved. All you need to do is
      repoduce an already extant set of maps.

      > From what I understand, the real cost comes from producing the
      image in a reproducable format. If the LoC ever creates high-res
      scans of the 2d edition, printing copies from the scans--even on a
      sturdy, laminate paper--would be very cheap.