3762Re: road net

    Oct 6, 2007
      Jake,

      I'm sure you already looked at the official atlas where on plate XXIX
      on a 1867 map the road is called "Sharpsburg & Boonsborough
      Turnpike." On other old maps I have on a CD, it is also called
      the "Boonsboro Turnpike" or the "Sharpsburg and Boonsboro Pike." And
      the maps show the road going thru Keedysville. None of the several
      maps I looked at including the CC maps show "Keedysville Road"
      however--is there one that calls it that? Hope your indexing is
      going well!

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Pierro
      <joseph_pierro@...> wrote:

      > That's what I figured. You get that in a lot of instances in the
      war. (The road due west of out Gettysburg is the Cashtown Road -- or
      the Chambersburg Road, depending on how far west you want to take it.)

      > Thanks, Stephen!
      >
      > --jgp

      Sharpsburg
      > used to go right though the middle of Keedysville. There is now a
      > bypass - Rt. 34.
      >
      > I've been reading about the building of the road from Antietam
      Station
      > to the Antietam National Cemetery. Interestingly, they called it
      the
      > National road. I'm guessing that was a generic term used because it
      was
      > a government road, which was a big deal at the time (1889).
      >
      > Stephen
      >
      > On Friday, October 5, 2007, at 08:10 PM, joseph_pierro wrote:
      >
      > > Quick question: Am I correct in my understanding that the
      Sharpsburg-