3731Re: Mosby during the Maryland Campaign

    Sep 25, 2007
      Scott,

      Thank you very much for this excerpt--saves having to find/buy the
      book. A photo is a possibility especially the one with his arm in a
      sling.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hann"
      <wutheringheights@...> wrote:

      > And in Wistar's own words:
      >
      > As the head of column was wheeling to the left about myself as
      > pivot, its killed and wounded falling at every step, I was myself
      > knocked over by a bullet through the left shoulder. Rogers, the
      left
      > flank sergeant of G Company was instantly at my side, and as the
      > blood was spouting from under the sleeve at the wrist, hastily
      > clapped on a tourniquet constructed of my pocket handkerchief and
      > his bayonet. He offered to remain with me, and was inclined to
      > insist, till I appealed to him to save my sword. Recognizing that
      > obligation, he quickly took it from me, and rushed after the
      > retiring column, and was scarcely gone till the enemy's line
      marched
      > over me.
      > But about this time General Meade, whose own division had
      > been used up in the two attacks of Hooker, had got together a small
      > force composed of the remnants of various regiments coming out in
      > good order, and was leading it forward when he met and seized on
      the
      > 71st, compact and in perfect order, though reduced to three
      officers
      > and scarcely 250 rank and file. This force continuing to increase
      > soon met and drove back the disordered Confederates who again
      > retired over me leaving me lying between two fires. Twice again the
      > enemy advanced over me, and were as often repulsed and driven back,
      > finally making a firm stand at or near their original position. The
      > last of these movements was by a heavy line of battle composed of
      > the fresh troops of 'Stonewall' Jackson—that is, if troops can be
      > called fresh who had marched all night and were now put into action
      > without any rest or intermission. As this splendid line moved over
      > me, a young lieutenant seized the occasion to leave his place to
      > demand my sword. When he learned that it was beyond his reach, he
      > wanted my parole, which I refused to give. The little dispute was
      > suddenly terminated by the arrival of several General Officers whom
      > I took to be McLaws, Walker and Stuart. These with their staffs
      were
      > following and closely watching their line now heavily engaged with
      > our troops, whose balls were striking all around us. Having lost
      > much blood notwithstanding the tourniquet, suffering intense pain
      > and barely able to whisper, I nevertheless managed to attract the
      > attention of one of their couriers, who dismounted, ascertained and
      > reported the subject of discussion to Stuart, who inquired of the
      > lieutenant his name and regiment. "Hill, of the 12th
      Georgia." "Join
      > it immediately sir." The courier then rearranged the tourniquet,
      > which, though hitherto but partially effective, had become
      > excessively painful, handed me a drink from one of the 71st's
      > wounded near-by, who kindly offered his canteen, and leaving me in
      > much more comfortable condition rode away after his General.
      > It was not till several years after the war that a mutual
      > friend—accidentally hearing the celebrated Confederate guerilla,
      > John S. Mosby, relate the same circumstance in connection with my
      > name, which he still remembered—brought us together, when I learned
      > for the first time that the friendly courier had been no other than
      > the renowned Mosby, at that time not even a commissioned officer.
      >
      > Wistar, Isaac J., "Autobiography of Isaac Jones Wistar 1827-1905
      > Half a Century in War and Peace," Philadelphia: The Wistar
      Institute
      > of Anatomy and Biology, 1937, pp. 407-409.
      >
      > I have several photos of Wistar including one with his arm in a
      > sling (from his Balls Bluff wound) which you are welcome to use for
      > your book.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic