      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Harry Smeltzer
      Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:26 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [TalkAntietam] South Mountain markers-Nagle's brigade

      Nagle's first BG USV commission expired without confirmation on 4/3/1863.
      He was not nominated until 12/23/1862: had he been confirmed, his date of
      rank would have been the same as his appointment date, 9/10/1862. He was
      nominated again on 3/10/1863, and confirmed 3/13/1863. Appointment date was
      3/23/1863 to date from 3/13/1863.

      So, his signing of reports as BG was at the very least premature.

      This is all in Eicher & Eicher.

      Harry