3606Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: G.A.R. Reno Post #4 Hagerstown

    Aug 24, 2007
      Which reminds me Steve, Washington County Historical Society needs new
      members. I'll get you a form the next time I see you. :-)

      Well, no pictures of the relics in the hall, but a few more clues.

      I went to the City Planning office at Hagerstown City Hall on the site
      of the old Town Market where G.A.R. Reno Post #4 used to meet. I ran
      into Stephen Bockmiller, esteemed member of this board, and he told me
      that they don't have any pictures of the old hall. He even checked
      around for boxes of old stuff, but to no avail.

      Stephen then directed me to the City Clerk. Here I found something
      interesting. Besides the fact that famed Antietam photographer B.W.T.
      Phreaner refused to pave his sidewalk in 1904, even to the point of the
      case being referred to the Police, there is a city council record from
      March 2, 1905 saying that it needs to be discerned whether the G.A.R.
      boys are going to renew their lease that expires in April 1905. Now,
      the lease I have states that the lease of the space started in 1905. I
      looked back a few years and couldn't find anything, so it is unclear
      when they first occupied the space.

      Just outside the clerk's office, though, are a bunch of old portraits
      of city officials taken around 1910. My guess is that they were taken
      in the old city hall, perhaps even in the Masonic Lodge Room. BTW, that
      is the name of the room they rented - the Masonic Lodge Room. There are
      some cool curtains, but no relic cases.

      Then I went to the Washington County Historical Society. The have some
      great photos of the outside of the old hall. It was built in 1822. The
      top was changed in 1888. Then it was torn down in 1939. The pictures
      are great. I'll send them on.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic