3484Re: [TalkAntietam] Last Letter of Confederate Officer, MW/KIA at Sunken Road (Long)

    Jun 11, 2007
      Dear Paula,

      Thanks for the comments. As to Captain Marsh's notations about
      being in the autumn of life and his female cousin being so young,
      from the manner in which he writes it, I am wondering if perhaps
      she might be more early to middle teens? IIRC, a girl at 13
      became a "young lady" and, depending on society status, was
      expected to start acting like one.

      I would really love to know the name of the cousin to whom Marsh
      sent his last letter. The letter itself is all the more poignant
      due to it. I also oft wonder if the cousin did try to eventually
      answer his letter only to have it returned to her? Or, did
      Marsh's brother possibly write her to inform her of the death of
      his brother or cousin?