      From: "T. R. Livesey" <tlivesey@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:36 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: Question

      Gerry,

      In Murfin's introduction, he states that the maps are the work of
      James D. Bowlby, the result of 10 years of field surveys, a
      revision
      of the Cope maps. The base map looks a lot like the Cope maps,
      but
      use terrain symbols much more suitable for smaller-scale
      reproduction.
      There are a few differences: one shows a corn field where the
      other
      shows clover, etc. Inexplicably, the elevation contour lines
      have
      been removed in Murphin's, seriously compromising their
      usefulness.

      Priest uses the "Parks and History Association" map as his base,
      which
      I think more closely follows the Cope maps. It uses symbols that
      are
      similar, but not identical to the Cope maps. I don't know the
      history
      of this map. It too lacks elevation markings.

      From my experience, including elevation markings is always a
      challenge, especially if you want to zoom out and show a broader
      expanse of area. The downside, of course, is that you end up
      with
      maps that look like the way Sears' text reads: there is no way to
      really understand how the terrain affects the situation. For
      example,
      in the maps of all three of these books, the reader cannot
      appreciate
      the situation in the 40 acre cornfield: how can the 4RI get
      `lost'?
      How can A.P. Hill come up out of nowhere on Burnside's left? I
      think
      a serious argument can be made that the elevation information is
      more
      important than the ground cover information (woods vs. corn vs.
      clover, etc.). But ground cover maps are more aesthetically
      pleasing
      to look at and readers are drawn to them.

      The obvious solution to the `busying-up' effect of contour lines
      is to
      use contours of greater intervals: 50 ft. instead of 20 ft. or
      whatever. Curiously, the version of the Parks and History
      Association
      map sold at the Antietam bookstore is plenty large for contour
      makings, but they are nonetheless omitted. I think somehow the
      authors
      of these maps have simply decided that elevation markings are not
      necessary. This is why the Cope maps are far more useful than any
      of
      these others.

      TRL

      > Dear Todd,
      >
      > IIRC Murfin used the Cope maps for his book....

      > from

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic