3414Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: South Mountain

    Apr 14, 2007
      It would have been more useful to the the Union thant the COnfederates, but EPA's account is the only real solid mention of it. It was uded i nthe Gettysburg by Union signalman, including Wm. J. L. Nicodemus.

      >>> "Adam Zimmerli" <azimmerli@...> 04/13/07 6:56 PM >>>
      According to Edward Porter Alexander:
      "I was riding with Gen. Lee when we came within a mile or two of the
      fight [for Turner's Gap] & some one discovered a small party of
      people on what seemed to be an old tower on the mountain top [the
      Washington Monument] about a mile north of the pass. There were some
      indications that it might be a signal party of the enemy sending
      messages of our approach, &, itching to have some personal role in
      a fight, I suggested to Gen. Lee that I might take a few men & go
      recapture it. He approved & had eight men sent with me from some
      brigade, I forget whose. I got in cover of some woods & then struck
      up the mountain side &, after a hard, hot climb, at last got up &
      around the tower (which seemed to have been built originally for a
      windmill) before the party on it knew of my approach. But they were
      plainly all natives of the vicinity attracted by the firing and up
      there to see the battle. I was quite disgusted at the peaceful
      character of my capture & left them after seeing that the position
      gave no valuable view of the enemy's ground & I pushed on to the
      front & right, towards the firing." Pages 142-143, Fighting for the
      Confederacy.

      According to the footnotes of the book, the tower was actually
      effectively in ruins by 1862. If EPA didn't think it gave a good
      view of the federals, could the same be said of the confederate army
      moving out of Boonsboro? I wonder, since it would be something one
      would assume he would think about.

      Anybody know where the 8 men came from?