3387O.T. Reilly, Martin Burgan, and the Dunker Church souvenir shop

  • Adam Zimmerli
    Apr 8, 2007
      Hello, all.
      I'm new to the group, but I've got a question:

      I'm looking for early (1862-1930's or so) entrepreneurs in the
      Sharpsburg area who dealt specifically with the battlefield and
      turning a buck off it. I know about O.T. Reilly's souvenir shop,
      guidebook, and tours, and about Martin Burgan's guidebook. Aside from
      the building that was on the Dunker Church foundation and the snack
      shack near Bloody Lane, were there any other souvenir shops or the
      like on the field? Also, aside from their description in Kathleen
      Ernst's "Too Afraid to Cry," are there stories of early tour guides?
      How about really BAD tour guides? (Akin to one discussed in the
      Gettysburg Admin. History whose tours included a description of
      Little Round Top as placed there by God's own hand solely so that the
      Union Army might have a position from which to drive the rebels from
      the field.)

      I imagine tour guides and souvenir shops were fairly small and part-
      time jobs, mostly farmers who had a little downtime a few relics
      they'd picked up on their property. I read Trowbridge's description
      of his tour in 1867, and he hired a guide from Keedysville. Am I
      right, or am I missing something?

      Finally, are there any good accounts of just what Lincoln actually
      did in the Sharpsburg area? I guess he was touring the battlefield
      (when he wasn't busy chewing out Little Mac), but I can't seem to
      find any good accounts. Then again, I'm not too much of a Lincoln
      historian, so I'm open to suggestions.

      Thanks!

      Adam Zimmerli
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic