3358Re: The Complete Story of Antietam

  • James W. Durney
    Mar 8, 2007
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Downey" <bdowney@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Quentin,
      >
      > Among many more significant things, you wrote "... A Landscape Turned
      > Red by Stephen W. Sears... is the complete story of the
      > Sharpsburg/Antietam campaign."
      >
      > To me, "the complete story" implies Landscape Turned Red is singularly
      > authoritative or particularly comprehensive. I don't think it is
      > either. But then, I don't know that any single work could be.
      >
      > I'd be curious to hear more of your view of the book.
      >
      > Brian

      I would be inclined to require more than one book on Antietam. The
      battle has not produced a "Coddington", that I know of. Joseph Harsh
      has done some very detailed work and that needs to be mentioned. Nor
      do I think we can dismiss John Priest's book. I agree Sears is the
      best read of the bunch.

      James
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic