3356Re: Added Upon/New Member

  • Quentin Holt
    Mar 7, 2007
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

      To T.R. Livesey and All:

      Yes, it was a strange kind of a freedom that allowed someone to own
      someone else. I gave it a lot of thought when I was a child because
      I was very often treated and made to feel like I was solidly owned
      by my parents and strictly for their purposes. I did not have a
      pleasant childhood at all mostly because of that situation and
      matters related to it.

      Do you know that all 13 of the original states of the United States
      were slave states when the Constitution was ratified? Some of them,
      like the New England and mid-Atlantic states later abolished slavery
      by state law. Many people in the South did not like slavery either,
      but what were they going to do? It was like having a tiger by the
      tail. You wish that you didn't, but you don't dare let go. It was
      unsettling to say the least. Generally speaking, I think that we
      should be very cautious about judging people of one era of history by
      the standards of a later era. We can only guess what people a
      century and a half from now will think of us.

      The War was, generally speaking, not much kinder to Negroes than it
      was to other people. For one thing, many of those who joined the
      Federal Army's colored units died from wounds and disease just like
      men in the other units. Worst of all and least generally known in
      modern times was that there were untold tens or hundreds of thousands
      of freed slaves who died from malnutition, unsanitary conditions, bad
      water, disease, and violence throughout the devastated portions of
      South after the War. They tended to gather in squalid camps by
      rivers and just die there unreported and unrecorded in this world.
      Most Negroes who had an opportunity to stay where they were before
      the War and continue what they were doing were happy to choose to
      stay.

      When the awful "Reconstruction" era subsided in 1876, Negroes really
      felt the anger of the white South taken out on them. We all know the
      story well.

      In our day I look around me and I think I can see the "curious
      institution" of slavery returning in another form. Is it not a form
      of slavery when one must work from January 2 until a late May or
      June "Tax Freedom Day" just to pay his or her federal, state, and
      local taxes? Then one can have the rest of the year's income to
      support self, family, and church. Here in King County, Washington,
      we have a County Executive and a majority on the County Council who,
      like other "liberals," have the attitude that people like Iris and I
      exist only to provide limitless revenue for every fool boondoggle and
      government extravagance that their fertile minds can imagine. As if
      we had it!

      For my part, as I would not wish to be a slave, neither would I wish
      to hold someone else in bondage.

      Quentin Mark Holt

      When I visit battlefields, I too am saddened by the ways that
      Americans used to
      > regard and treat one another. Specifically, I am saddened how it
      was once thought
      > that it was OK, or normal, or even good, that people of one race
      could own as
      > property the people of another race. I do take some comfort in the
      fact that the
      > mess that the Founding Fathers left was eventually repaired, and
      their ideals had
      > a chance to be realized.
      >
      > T.R. Livesey
      > tlivesey@...
      >
      > On Tue Mar 6 23:30 , Mark Holt <que182001@...> sent:
      >
      > >To All:
      > >
      > > I am Quentin Holt of Renton, Washington State. I have been an
      amateur
      > historian since deep into my childhood, and I am now 58 years old.
      I am
      > well-read and widely traveled and have a lifelong penchant for
      thinking for
      > myself. I am a male-type person and have never been into emotional
      breakdowns or
      > serious failures to function. I was nearly a dozen years between
      the National
      > Guard and the Army Reserve. I am a graduate of the Infantry School
      at Fort Benning.

      > .
      > .
      > .
      > > When I visited the blood-soaked, ghost-haunted battlefields of
      the War, I felt
      > like I was like most other tourists there except that I may have
      been more
      > knowledgeable about the history of the War and that I was alone in
      my visits.
      > Like most any caring and decent person, I was also saddened by the
      ways that
      > Americans used to regard and treat one another, but it did not go
      beyond the
      > normal at the time.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic