3348Re: Henry Rathbone at Antietam?

  • Brian Downey
    Mar 6, 2007
      Hi Tom,

      According to "Military record of civilian appointees..." (Guy Vernor
      Henry, 1873, D. Van Nostrand):

      He had been in New York State Militia (Colonel, aide-de-camp to
      Governor); appointed Capt of then-forming 12th US Infantry May 1861.
      On recruiting duty to March 1862. Present at Antietam and
      Fredericksburg. Various Army Staff jobs subsequently. Was a Major,
      USA, and disbursing officer at Provost Marshall's Bureau, Wash DC at
      time of Assasination.

      Heitman agrees with commission in 12th US Inf but no other detail
      about service before the Wilderness (on Burnside's staff as Major, ADC);

      I recall no mention of Rathbone's actions (if any) in materials I've
      read about the battle of Antietam.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

      > Henry Rathbone was with President Lincoln at Ford's Theatre that
      fatal night in 1865. He was wounded by JW Booth. It appears Rathbone
      was at Antietam in 9th Corps. Anyone have further info on Rathbone's
      unit at Antietam? Just curious!