3259Re: [TalkAntietam] McClellan's after action reports

    Feb 1, 2007

      Thanks for the note. I got this from his August report:

      My plan for the impending general engagement was to attack the enemy's
      left with the corps of Hooker and Mansfield, supported by Sumner's and,
      if necessary, by Franklin's, and, as soon as matters looked favorably
      there, to move the corps of Burnside against the enemy's extreme right,
      upon the ridge running to the south and rear of Sharpsburg, and, having
      carried their position, to press along the crest toward our right, and,
      whenever either of these flank movements should be successful, to
      advance our center with all the forces then disposable.

      Two points. First, I certainly agree that this is not how it unfolded.
      Franklin was necessary, but not used. The move to the center never
      happened.

      Second, I seem to remember reading somewhere in Harsh about McClellan
      having seen the salient at the Sunken Road, where the tower is, as
      being the main point he wished to attack. I don't remember it being
      footnoted, and remember thinking that it was the first place that I had
      heard that.

      Stephen

      On Thursday, February 1, 2007, at 09:10 AM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > Steve,
      > Off the top of my head, and without sources to look at, I think Rafuse
      > discusses both to some extent. Carman refers to both, but does not go
      > into them in any depth. My view is that the second one, which Carman
      > calls his "elaborate" report, was written after he was relieved and is
      > much more self-justifying. He also suggests that his plan was exactly
      > how the battle worked out and I don't believe that at all.

    • Show all 35 messages in this topic