3258Re: [TalkAntietam] McClellan's after action reports

    Feb 1, 2007
      Steve,
      Off the top of my head, and without sources to look at, I think Rafuse discusses both to some extent. Carman refers to both, but does not go into them in any depth. My view is that the second one, which Carman calls his "elaborate" report, was written after he was relieved and is much more self-justifying. He also suggests that his plan was exactly how the battle worked out and I don't believe that at all.

      Hello,

      Where would you look for the best discussion of McClellan's Antietam
      reports? Thanks.

      Stephen Recker