3236Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Artillery Question

    Jan 27, 2007
      I think Mark has it right. If someone REALLY wanted to know they could go to the National Archives and pull out the quarterly returns for the units involved, see what their supply of ammo was on Sept. 1 and then compare to Jan. 1 1863 and see what re-supply they report. I doubt anybody at the park did that, I think it is a general figure. A few of the after-action reports mention the amount of ammo expended, Tompkins RI for example expended somewhere around 1,100 rounds for six guns. The 20 pdr. Parrotts expended nearly all their ammo, etc. so the figure is likely an accurate estimate.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Darmok4349@... wrote:

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Any Idea on how to find out what the NPS source for this information
      is?

      > Mike

      Well, I can't say that this figure is definitive or nay. However, if
      you take into consideration that every piece that went into action
      during the battle had between 128 (12Pdr.) and 200 (10Pdr. and 3")
      rounds with it, and that most of them expended at least 80% of their
      ammunition, you find that the figure's truth is entirely possible.

      This also is assuming that none of the caissons were sent to the rear
      to refill . . .

      Mark A. Pflum
      Ringgold !!!
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic