3230Re: [TalkAntietam] Crossing the Potomac

    Jan 14, 2007
      Steve,
      I am convinced that the cavalry crossed behind Jackson at White's Ford.
      it may be confusing for some since there is a White's Ferry too, and of
      course Edward's Ferry. But the crossing of cavalry at either Ferry
      would be time consuming. The ford could be crossed quickly and easily,
      although following the infantry would be a delay. But even cavalry
      could not wade the Ferries, so I think the sign is misleading. By the
      way, Wite's Ferry was called Conrad's Ferry at the time.

      I went to Poolesville today trying to get my head around the early part
      of the campaign. The Civil War Trails marker map has Fitz-Hugh Lee
      crossing the Potomac at Edward's Ferry and coming up from the south. As
      I read it, Carman, Harsh and a bunch of other folks have him crossing
      at White's Ford, all stuck behind the infantry dring the crossing. Am I
      missing something? Thanks.