3176Sample story from my new manuscript

  • Scott Mingus
    Dec 26, 2006
      Antietam Anecdotes: Human Interest Stories from the Antietam Campaign
      will be published in early 2007 by Colecraft Industries, who produced
      my corresponding Gettysbrg book. Here is a sample story to whet your
      appetite. The 300 or so anecdotes and incidents cover a wide range -
      irony, pathos, humor, compassion, unusal, animal stories, etc. and
      are sure to include some fresh information you have not read before,
      as I poured over hundreds of regimental histories, newspapers,
      journals, etc. to assemble my source material, which I then rewrote
      for clarity and style.

      Men sometimes can get carried away with their emotions when exposed
      to the shock of war. Tears, cowardice, indifference, anger,
      arrogance, and recklessness can all be magnified in the trauma. Corp.
      William Roach of Company K of the 81st Pennsylvania took careful aim
      at a Confederate color sergeant as he retired and cleanly shot him,
      dropping the Rebel to the ground. Ignoring heavy musketry that
      continued along the opposing lines, Roach ran ahead of his company
      and lifted up the cap of the fallen flag bearer. He triumphantly
      placed the cap on the end of his bayonet and twirled it around,
      proudly exclaiming to his comrades, "That is the way to do it!" While
      he was absorbed in this self-congratulatory act of ego, another Union
      soldier slipped past, snatched up the fallen Confederate flag, and
      raced off with the prize. Roach was left ruefully standing with only
      the Rebel cap.

      Frank Moore, Anecdotes, Poetry, and Incidents of the War: North and
      South. 1860-1865. (New York: Publication office, Bible house, J.
      Porteus, agent, 1867).

      Here's another one:

      General Lee, normally stoic and calm as battle loomed, allowed his
      emotions to betray him. As he was riding in the rear lines, he
      encountered a soldier surreptitiously toting a freshly killed pig.
      Enraged, Lee ordered the thief to be arrested. As an example to
      discourage other pilferers, he was to be escorted to Stonewall
      Jackson and shot for his wanton disobedience of Lee's strict orders
      against foraging. Short of men already, Jackson soon commuted the
      execution sentence, and instead ordered the man to be sent straight
      to the front lines. He was to be placed in a position where the odds
      were highest he would be shot by the Yankees. The culprit fought
      well, survived the battle, and redeemed himself through his bravery
      under the scathing fire. He later became regarded as the man who had
      lost the pig, but "saved his bacon."

      Armistead L. Long, Memoirs of Robert E. Lee: His Military and
      Personal History. (London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle, and
      Rivington, 1886).

      Pre-orders will be accepted in late winter. In the meantime, I thank
      all of you in this forum who have offered suggestions and ideas!

      Scott Mingus
      York, PA