3125Re: [TalkAntietam] Emancipation question

  • T.R.Livesey
    Nov 8, 2006
      "I can't find any reference to them having to give up slavery first, before they
      can come back in."

      That's because there wasn't any. On the surface, the P EP was meant not to wean
      slavery from the slave states but to encourage states in rebellion to return to
      the Union. Simply put, for any state returning to the Union before Jan 1863,
      slavery was still an open question. After that time, slavery was off the table.

      Of course, it was quite obvious that no slave state was going to return to the
      Union in the time frame specified; the real meaning behind the P EP was to state
      that the Union policy, starting Jan 1 1863, would be for the US military to free
      any slaves that fell under its control as a result of military advancement.

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Wed Nov 8 12:58 , Stephen Recker <recker@...> sent:

      TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com