3012Re: re Battlefield off beaten path sites and question

  • dickeyr46
    May 19, 2006
      Gerry,

      I've never seen a brochure that covers the terrain west of Hwy 65.
      Perhaps some of the other members might know of one. Map 5 of the
      Battle Maps Brian Downey has posted on AoTW,
      http://aotw.org/maps.php?map_number=5, is excellent. It clearly shows
      the 1st Minn and the 13th Vir, which was posted from Early's Brigade
      as support for the horse artillery. Another good source of what the
      terrain is like is the map Todd Livsey did,
      http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/maps/viewmaps.html. He has
      overlaid the 1862 vegetation and roads with white lines depicting the
      modern roads. Todd has also marked the park boundary in purple. Both
      of these maps help.

      If I were drawing a map, this is what I'd do. From the Dunker Church,
      walk west out Confederate Ave. past the 34th NY and 125th PA
      monuments. Carefully cross Hwy 65 bypass and continue west along the
      dirt park road about 200 meters. This should put you at a small tree
      line running N and S. Head N along the line. It is a bit rough... rock
      out croppings. Hauser Ridge rises to your left and there is open
      "pasture" to your right. You'll see the Locher barn first and then the
      cabin to the right. They are marked as A. Poffenberger on most maps.
      The barn is visible from Hwy 65; the cabin is not because of
      vegetation. Continue NNW for a couple of hundred more meters. It is
      amazing how the vegetaion and terrain reveal themselves. This area is
      where Grigsby's men and the artillery stopped and held Gorman's
      Brigade while McLaws' brigades and others attacked.

      The 15th Mass. monument is just NE of the Locher cabin, on the east
      side of Hwy 65. I found the other good place to cross 65 is to follow
      the farm path from the cabin, south to the barn. There is a gate in
      the fence at the barn making it easy to get to the road for crossing.
      The original War Dept. tour road is east of and parallels 65 here.
      Head north a hundred meters for the 15th Mass. monument. Few people
      recognize that tablets and monuments are along this "path."

      I've been too verbose and perhaps stated the obvious, but I hope this
      helps on your tour.

      Ron Dickey

      > Dear Ron,
      >
      > Thank you for the excellent suggestion! I will make contact at ANBP
      > with one of the rangers to arrange for a copy of that brochure to be
      > sent.
      >
      > Is there also a brochure of the NW corner of the West Woods where
      > Pelham had his artillery?

      > God. --Anonymous

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic