2998Re: [TalkAntietam] re Battlefield off beaten path sites and question

    May 12, 2006
      1. Nicodemus Heights and Hauser Ridge require permission of the owners,
      but you can go a bit west of the Locher cabin without it and see some
      great spots relative to the attack on the 15th Mass. The space in
      between Philadelphia Brigade Park and Rt. 65 is open to the public.
      I've got a neat old photo of Jackson's rocks back there without the
      woods. The north side of the J. Poffenberger Farm where Doubleday had
      some cannon is a neat spot and is open. Brian Baracz took us there last

      2. Brian just did a great walking tour of the east side of Burnside
      Bridge. I would talk to him.

      3. Yes, there is a nice brochure of this trail. You can get it at the
      visitor center desk. The hike is pretty challenging. There are a few
      variations for the hearty few. You can start with a walk down to
      Snavely Ford and then follow Rodman's path all the way through the
      woods to the position of the 12th Ohio where you could pick up the park
      trail. You could end with a walk up to the 9th New York. I have done
      both of these with Brian, Keith Snyder and Mike Gamble, all park
      rangers who I am sure would be glad to point you to some great stories,
      maps and photos.

      On Thursday, May 11, 2006, at 10:06 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > 1. In addition to the remaining portion of the West Woods between the
      > Philadelphia Brigade park and the SR 64 bypass, what other off the
      > beaten path areas in the park are there in the area of the Morning
      > Phases of the battle that can be visited with needing special
      > permission to do so?
      > 2. Which of the rangers at the park would be best choices for me to
      > contact with respects to obtaining information on question no. 1 as
      > well as the entire area of Burnside's Assault in the afternoon of
      > September 17th?
      > 3. Does anyone know if there is a brochure or other material available
      > for the Otto Farm Trail? How difficult or challenging is the trail to
      > hike? The last time I was on the ground of the Otto Farm was during
      > the last Muster of the old ADG a few years ago. Realizing that a lot
      > of work has been done over the last couple years in that sector, any
      > assistance with trail routes, etc is much appreciated.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic