298Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Article about Hoods Texans

    Aug 27, 2001
      Mark Plfum wrote earlier:
      > The Ninth Army Corps was formed just before 2nd Bull Run and
      saw its
      > first action under that name in that fight. They were, I
      believe,
      > part of the Army Of Virginia that you mentioned earlier in the
      quote.

      Mark, did not the Ninth Army Corps comprise the bulk of the
      Federal expeditionary force that attacked and captured New Burn
      in North Carolina after landing near Cape Hatteras? I seem to
      recall reading somewhere that this was pretty much the case, as
      old Burnside was the commander of that amphibious expedition.

      > I know you are simply saying Dan'l was of Kentucky fame, but it
      may
      > give the missinformed the impression that he was actually FROM
      > Kentucky. We all know, of course, he was born and raised near
      > Reading, Pennsylvania and his folks were friends of the
      ancestors of
      > a guy named Abraham Lincoln. ;-)

      Your comment about Dan'l Boone is well taken. BTW, what was the
      name of Dan'l's brother?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",