2620Re: [TalkAntietam] "Siege" of Harpers Ferry?

    Feb 26, 2006
      Tom;

      Since you and I both know Joe Harsh and how objectively he studied the
      entire question, it seems pretty clear that Marse Robt and Ol Jack
      expected, perhaps naively, that the Federal garrisons at Martinsburg
      and HF would retire, post haste, up into Maryland with the approach of
      Confederate forces.

      That this did not and that Ol' Jack decided to press ahead with the
      investment of HF following the Federal retreat from Martinsburg into
      HF rather than into Maryland, almost wrecked the campaign.

      1788