252Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam Trip Report

  • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
    Jul 17, 2001
      rotbaron@... wrote:

      > We made a left on Jackson Street. At the "T", we made a right and arrived at
      > the Hilltop House. It sits on Magazine Hill (magazine was established there
      > above flood zone). I had never been there before.

      It's also affectionately know as the "Firetrap House" by many of us who have
      stayed there while participating at events at HF. Teddy Roosevelt slept there
      too. It's a great place to stay and their buffet's are excellent. The view is
      grand in early October when we gather at HF for the 1860 election Day event on
      the second Saturday of the month.

      > The large building in the distance (in Camp Hill) is Matter Training Center
      > (sp?). It
      > had been the quarters of Alfred Barber (Dennis said he was the
      > superintendent, but I forget of what!)

      Barber was the superintendent of the harpers Ferry Arsenal.

      Did Dennis take you to the Antietam Iron Furnace site at the point where Antietam
      Creek connects with the Potomac? Many of the Ninth Corps units were camped there
      in the weeks after the battle.

      Bill Christen
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic