      From: <128thpa@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:46 PM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Charlie King

      > From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      > Paula;
      >
      > Who is Gustav Schurmann?
      > Gerry, Gustav Schurmann's story is told in the book by Bill Styple, "The
      Little Bugler". Though the book was written for middle schoolers, it is
      definitely worth a read by adults also. Gus (as he was called) was a
      drummer/bugler for the 40th NY. Due to his skills he moved up to be Phil
      Kearney's bugler, and eventually Sickles' bugler. IIRC, Gus was with
      Sickles when he was wounded and was the one to wrap a tourniquet on his leg,
      as others went off to find Sickles' surgeon. Gus became friends with Tad
      Lincoln and stayed in the White House for a couple of weeks or so.