2418Re: AoP Cavalry on Maryland Campaign

  • Brian Downey
    Jan 4, 2006
      Guys,

      I'm not arguing Eric's qualifications or reputation on cavalry
      operations. He's the man. No discussion.

      He made a statement about McClellan picketing the Harpers Ferry Road
      that raised a question in my mind about just how, exactly, he would
      have been able to get his troopers there.

      I didn't want to get into a what-if discussion with Eric on the blog -
      hardly worth his time. Perhaps this group would like to consider it:

      Look at a map and picture the relative positions of the AoP and the
      various elements of the ANV during the period 13-19 September.
      Remember that McC couldn't even get a courier through to HF to tell
      them to hang on prior to its surrender ...

      So, how much Federal Cavalry would he have had to send down Pleasant
      Valley to break through from that direction on or after September 15?
      Would that have been a fight worth making? Was there another route
      to the HF Road south of Sharpsburg open to McClellan anytime before
      September 19th? Wasn't most of the ANV between the AoP and Sharpsburg
      from the 14th onward?

      Eric alluded to Col. "Grimes" Davis' break-out from HF (14-15 Sept)
      and that they joined the AoP by the HF Road. Suggesting, perhaps, that
      Pleasonton could have taken the same path, in reverse. Well ... not
      exactly. Davis apparently took his men onto the HF Road only part of
      the way to Sharpsburg. He then headed north and west, captured a
      train of Longstreet's wagons near Williamsport (!) and ended up in
      Greencastle, Pennsylvania (!!) on 15 September. He did not join the AoP.

      Ah well, I'm probably over my head here, and it's all hypothetical
      anyway,

      Regards,
      Brian