236Re: [TalkAntietam] RE: Weverton Pass

  • James Rose
    Jun 30, 2001

      I'm looking at a map of the area (West Point Atlas) and I don't see a
      Weverton Pass. Crampton's Gap seems (according to the map) to be the
      quickest way into Pleasant Valley, and the valley being the best way to
      approach the heights. About Miles holding on, I doubt it. Miles knew
      that Franklin was coming, and that he was only a few miles away. He
      surrendered despite knowing that a relief force was close at hand. The
      only way I see it changing is if Franklin had relieved Miles before
      Jackson opened fire.

      Jim Rose