2338Re: [TalkAntietam] New easements

    Oct 25, 2005
      Thanks Tom Shay,
      I didn't think it was anything close to the battlefield, and it isn't,
      but still is good news. St. James School occupies the ridge between the
      Downsville Pike and Sharpsburg Pike. It was indeed part of the
      stand-off in 1863 as Lee fortified the ridge to the west along
      Downsville Pike, and Meade had troops just east of St. James. The
      connection of this ground to Antietam is tenuous at best, as it is
      several miles from Sharpsburg, and other than FitzJohn Porter's mother
      being employed there, had little to do with the battle. Still, I am all
      for easements anywhere in Washington County!
      Tom Clemens

      >>> rotbaron@... 10/25/2005 3:11:09 PM >>>

      From today's Hagersotwn Herald-Mail:

      Ehrlich also announced $3.3 million in funding from a variety of
      federal, state and county sources to buy the easement rights for 828
      acres of land adjacent to Saint James School, which served as the middle
      ground between the battles at Gettysburg and Antietam.

      Saint James Headmaster Stuart D. Dunnan said for more than a decade he
      feared the land would be lost to development, and he praised Ehrlich's
      assistance in helping to preserve it. "(Development's) moving, so there
      is another army moving up the Sharpsburg Pike," he said. "We need to
      preserve our setting. And, I frankly (have) been terrified about this
      for 14 years."