2322Re: bibliography

  • Steve
    Sep 24, 2005
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

      > Tom,
      > I found the article, you were kinda sly in not mentioning that it
      was you
      > that wrote that article. I was wondering your opinion of a couple
      of books not
      > mentioned in your article.
      > A Matter of Hours by Paul Teetor
      > Lee Moves North by Michael Palmer
      > North with Lee and Jackson by James Kegel

      Palmer's is a truly dreadful book. His main thesis is that Robert E.
      Lee "exceeded his authority" by raiding into the North twice without
      the approval of Jefferson Davis, possibly entertaining political
      ambitions of his own. Palmer conveniently ignores the fact that Davis
      *was* consulted both times, and that both raids had Davis' approval.
      The book is historical revisionism at its absolute worst and
      literally not worth the paper it's printed on.

      On the other hand, Kegel's book is *excellent* (one of my favorites,
      in fact), containing extensive footnotes and lots of interesting
      minutiae. It's not strictly an "Antietam" book, though, but it does
      show the "flow" of the early war period (how each battle was actually
      an outgrowth of its predecessor).

      Just my $0.02

      -- Steve Lopez
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic