2317Re: bibliography

  • Brian Downey
    Sep 23, 2005
      Hi Nick,

      You might also find Antietam on the Web (http://aotw.org) a useful
      resource for maps, bios, drill-down orders of battle, further
      references, etc - if you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion.

      Tom Shay's absolutely right about the Carman-Cope maps, of course, but
      you can get them for free online from the Library of Congress,
      including that fabulous zooming viewer. I've used my digital set a lot.

      Rather then the middle or southern sections, I'd think the northern
      portion of the field could easily take two meetings, if one had the
      time. Somewhat more complex action and broader scope there, it seems
      to me.

      For references, it's always good to return to the ORs also. These are
      available online in a couple of places, if you don't already have
      access locally. I've posted the 315 after-action reports which refer
      to the Maryland Campaign on AotW also :).

      I, too, hunger for a complete Carman manuscript, but that'll have to
      wait til Dr Clemens publishes or I get the time at the Library of
      Congress it'll take to xerox the thing. If they'll let me.

      Regards,
      Brian

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, nickrelee@a... wrote:

      > Tom,
      > I do have a copy of Sid Meier's but when I made a chart of the
      chapters as
      > saved on the disk (because the disk sometimes gave them a different
      number) it
      > appears that the disk is missing chapters 1-5,14 and anything past
      21, which
      > may not even exist. Maybe I'm not looking thru the disk correctly.
      >
      > Speaking for myself I'd say the more the merrier on the trip. We
      just got
      > back from this year's trip on Monday (middle tennessee - franklin,
      nashville,
      > spring hill, stones river) so I'm not even sure when we'll start
      Antietam.
      > We just had decided earlier this year that Antietam was next.
      Right now I'm
      > gathering maps, order of battle, biographies (from Warners 2 books)
      to make a