2280Antietam anniversary events schedule

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Aug 29, 2005
      The Antietam lectures and hikes for the anniversary are now posted online.
      There is far too much to simply post here, so visit all the info at:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/pphtml/events.html

      Among the highlights....

      September 11, 2005 : Battle of South Mountian Anniversary Speaker. "The Texas Brigade in the Maryland Campaign" lecture by Ted Alexander.

      Battlefield Anniversary hikes:

      7:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. - "A Great Tumbling Together of All Heaven and Earth"- The Opening Guns of Battle - Two simultaneous hikes, each approximately ¾ of a mile.
      One follows the Union advance, the other the Confederate defense during the first hour of battle.
      8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. - "Amidst a Very Unpleasant Shower of Bullets"- Advance of the 12th Corps
      10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. - "What in Gods Name Are You Fighting For?"- Massacre in the West Woods
      10:30 a.m.-12:00 noon - "We Showered the Lead Across That Creek"- The Fight for Burnside Bridge
      11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. - "The Adjacent Plains Were Covered With a Carpet of Red Blue and Gray"- Attack and Defense of the Sunken Road
      1:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. - "For Eight Hours We Were Exposed to the Fury of a Mighty Host" - The Center of the Line
      3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. - "The Regiment Prepared for the Final Struggle"- Beyond the Burnside Bridge

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA