2143monuments

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Jun 29, 2005
      When a group of which I was part wanted to place a marker at Antietam,
      learned that we could not, we decided instead to donate a copy of an
      index to all Michigan soldiers to the Antietam NBP library and let it go
      at that. We had just erected a marker at South Mountain and were flush
      with energy. The South Mountain marker was erected because the veterans
      of the Seventeenth Michigan themselves had wished it. According to the
      minutes of their association meetings, it was a project that they
      started. Such was not the case with Antietam. Ironically, we later
      erected a marker at the Spotsplvania NBP in the honor with the full
      support of the NPS.

      I am one hundred and ten percent behind SHAF's position on markers.

      Bill Christen