1736Re: [TalkAntietam] What can be done?

  • Brian Morris
    Mar 3, 2005
      Currently there is a moratorium on monuments on NPS Civil War battlefields
      until I think 2007. This was in part a result of the 11th Mississippi and
      North Carolina monuments in Gettysburg. Here's a few websites dealing with
      the idea of new monuments and the official bill proposing the lifting of the
      moratorium.
      http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/articles/monument_policy_change.htm
      http://hometown.aol.com/cwrtnh/
      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2651:

      I think it is likely that this monument and others are inevitable. I
      actually talked to my local Congressman who is planning to support more
      monuments because he feels it's politically unwise not to. He was running
      against a Desert Storm veteran (almost lost) and felt he couldn't be shown
      to be anti veteran. This will likely be the case for many politicians who
      don't want to hand their opponents a nice little weapon come re-election.
      Unfortunately once we see a New Hampshire monument we will likely see many
      others as civil war groups go "Hey, how come there's no monument to the
      (insert regiment here) at Antietam".

      When the 11th Mississippi monument was placed near the Bryan's Farm in
      Gettysburg it broke precedence. In the past the general rule was "no
      regimental monuments in forward or transient positions". This was the rule
      set by the Civil War veterans committees in the 1880s covering monument
      placing. Then came the North Carolina and 11th Mississippi monuments which
      are placed near the Angle in Gettysburg thanks to some arm bending by a few
      Senators in Washington. The North Carolina one is placed perhaps 100 yards
      south of the sport where the Tar Heels actually hit the wall but the
      tourists would never see it so instead it was placed inside the angle and
      purposely farther up slope than the Armistead marker (Yes the fight over who
      got farther still rages on but that's another story).

      Like I said, if this goes through you are going to see not just a few but a
      lot of new monuments. You are going to see re-enactment groups who feel the
      unit they're recreating isn't properly represented and get their Senator to
      do some arm twisting to get the NPS to let them put it where ever they want.
      You'll see round table groups wanting their hometown hero to have a marker
      or monument to mark where they fought. Do we really want to see more
      monuments at the Angle, LRT or the Sunken Road? I don't but I have a feeling
      that we will.

      Brian

      > Dr. Tom,
      >
      > That is a great idea! Can CWPT be made aware of this need?
      >
      > Also, could you please contact me privately? Thanks!
      >
      > Very respectfully,
      > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > Confederate Signal Corps,
      > Longstreet's Corps