1715Re: [TalkAntietam] Books like OHIO AT ANTIETAM, etc

  • Brian Morris
    Mar 2, 2005
      I don't have the Antietam volumes but I do have many of the Gettysburg
      versions such as Maine, Ohio, Michigan, New Jersey and Delaware. The New
      York at Gettysburg book is a rather hefty three volume set. Pennsylvania is
      two volumes. If you are a serious collector of books for that specific
      battle (Gettysburg & Antietam respectively) they are worth picking up to
      have in your collection but don't expect a serious battlefield study from
      them.

      I guess the best description might be that they were souvenir books that
      were issued after the dedications. At Gettysburg all the monuments for a
      certain state would be dedicated on the same day. So you would have Michigan
      Day at Gettysburg and so on. It was a bigger deal at Gettysburg due to the
      larger number of monuments but Antietam followed the same form for the most
      part.

      In general all a certain state's monuments were dedicated on the same day as
      they were paid for by the sate governments and involved large committees.
      Note the "erected by the state of Michigan" plaques and "erected by the
      state of Ohio" on their respective monuments in Gettysburg. They wanted
      people to remember who foot the bill on these things. Granite doesn't come
      cheap.

      The proceedings began at the National Cemetery where a ceremony was held to
      honor those fallen. After a series of speeches the regiments broke up into
      their own groups and proceeded out to their monuments where specific
      dedication ceremonies were done. J L Chamberlain was a member of the state
      Battlefield Commission so he spoke at both the general ceremony in the
      cemetery and then at the dedication ceremony on LRT for the 20th Maine
      monument.

      In a few cases monuments would not be completed in time for their dedication
      day. Ohio I know had two regimental monuments not even there for their day
      and a few others not completed. Ohio also had an accident during it's
      dedication ceremony when a rifle prematurely discharged in the color guard
      killing one of the men.

      Some monuments had so few represenatives that there would be no specific
      ceremony for that monument. Case in point the Michigan Sharpshooters
      monument on LRT. There were only four companies of Michigan sharpshooters at
      Gettysburg and less than a dozen at Michigan day so there was no formal
      ceremony except for the survivors who came together at their monument. In
      one volume in the section for an artillery battery monument there were only
      four survivors at the dedication from the battery and no officers. One of
      the men wrote a small bit for inclusion of the book where he spoke about how
      the four of them got together at their monument and simply spoke of some of
      their comrade lost.

      These books would include the dedication speeches from the general ceremony
      as well as the individual monument dedications of the day. Some also had
      short histories of their regiments, the battle as well as information on the
      cost of the monuments. A number of publishers have reprinted some nice
      versions of these books including Butternut & Blue and Longstreet House.

      Brian

      > Tom,
      >
      > These are 'commemorative' volumes that document the process and ceremonies
      > concerning the placement of the various state monuments on the
      battlefield.

      > Typically they include descriptions of the monuments, how much they cost,
      > where they were made, maps of their placement, photographs, full text of
      > all the speeches made on they day of unveiling, reminisces and all that
      sort
      > of stuff.
      >
      > Makes for very interesting reading, although one should not take the
      > details too seriously, being personal accounts being made some 35 or more
      > years after the event. I would say well worth reading.
      >
      > I am aware of volumes from Ohio, 2 from Pennsylvania (I think 1 is
      > Pennsylvania at Antietam, and the other the Pennsylvania Reserves at
      Antietam),
      > New York and Indiana.
      >
      > I got mine on ebay, although you can find them at on line book sellers
      > such as www.abebooks.com.
      >
      > I don't know what the Antietam library has.
      >
      > TRL
      >
      > Quoting rotbaron@...:
      >

      > > I often see references to books entitled OHIO AT ANTIETAM, PENNSYLVANIA
      AT