1713Re: [TalkAntietam] Books like OHIO AT ANTIETAM, etc

  • tlivesey@westwoodgalleries.com
    Mar 2, 2005

      These are 'commemorative' volumes that document the process and ceremonies
      concerning the placement of the various state monuments on the battlefield.

      Typically they include descriptions of the monuments, how much they cost,
      where they were made, maps of their placement, photographs, full text of
      all the speeches made on they day of unveiling, reminisces and all that sort
      of stuff.

      Makes for very interesting reading, although one should not take the
      details too seriously, being personal accounts being made some 35 or more
      years after the event. I would say well worth reading.

      I am aware of volumes from Ohio, 2 from Pennsylvania (I think 1 is
      Pennsylvania at Antietam, and the other the Pennsylvania Reserves at Antietam),
      New York and Indiana.

      I got mine on ebay, although you can find them at on line book sellers
      such as www.abebooks.com.

      I don't know what the Antietam library has.

      TRL

      Quoting rotbaron@...: