  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Aug 20, 2004
      From August 20, 2004 edition of Hagerstown Herald-Mail...

      Though the plug was pulled on this year's Sharpsburg Heritage Festival, a
      group is putting together a smaller-scale event to commemorate the anniversary of
      the Battle of Antietam. With the organizers of the Sharpsburg Heritage
      Festival deciding to take 2004 off, the Sharpsburg Historical Society has stepped
      in to create Sharpsburg History Day on Sept. 18, said historical society
      President Denise Troxell.

      Troxell said members of the group believed it was important to have some type
      of event that day because returning tourists making an annual trip to the
      nearby Antietam National Battlefield will be expecting the traditional event in
      Sharpsburg. "We were afraid people were going to come, and there would be
      nothing here for them," Troxell said. "It's a nice tradition to have some sort of
      celebration that weekend."

      Troxell said the event will have less features than the usual festival, and
      that many details are still being finalized. Troxell said the historical
      society has scheduled several lectures and walking tours, including one that will
      take visitors to houses and churches used as hospitals in the aftermath of the
      bloody Civil War battle in September 1862. She said the group also is working
      on a folk music concert and a large dinner.

      There will be access to a history exhibit at Sharpsburg Town Hall, Troxell
      said. She said Sharpsburg History Day is not designed to take the place of the
      Heritage Festival. Both Troxell and Mayor Hal Spielman said they are hoping
      this year's cancellation is not indicative of the festival's future. "If they
      can't put it on because of unforeseen circumstances, I hope it would work out
      for next year, Spielman said. "I wished it would've happened."

      Judy Wilson, secretary of the Heritage Festival Committee, said the group
      simply needed a year to rebuild. "As with so many volunteer organizations, we
      ran out of volunteers and funds," Wilson said. "You really can't put on a
      festival without them." Wilson said the committee plans to continue the event, but
      believed it was better not to attempt it half-heartedly in 2004. "After so
      many years of being short-staffed, it takes its toll. People who've not been
      involved in it do not realize what an undertaking it is," she said.

      The festival, which was held for 12 years in conjunction with Antietam
      National Battlefield remembrance events, has drawn as many as 135 vendors and more
      than 3,000 people in some past years.