      From: Brian Morris
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 12:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] 90th Pa monument

      Yes but those monuments you are referring to were placed by the veterans of
      the battle, not by us 140 years later. I know the stories of the regimental
      monuments very well and I am not against the monuments on the field put
      there by the men who fought there. They are historic and very much belong on
      the fields. I'm against monuments being placed on the field 140 years later.
      They are graffiti in my opinion because they are being placed on the field
      by people whose main motivations are they want to leave their permanent mark
      on the field.

      If this New Hampshire monument goes through look for a whole bunch of new
      state monuments on the Antietam Battlefield. Do you honestly think some
      Senator or Congressman in a tight re-election campaign from a state without
      a monument is going to say no when some local Civil War re-enactors group
      comes along and asks for a marker for Alabama, Georgia, Maine or some other
      state that doesn't have one on the field yet? Of course not because if he
      says no his opponent can say he voted against a monument to honor fallen
      soldiers. So he/she is going to say "Sure, let's have a monument honoring
      the good men from *insert state here*" and here will come another one and
      another. Do we want a preserved battlefiled or a field covered with
      monuments to modern day political campaigns?

      Brian

      > Not sure I agree that monuments are graffiti. Since there are many more
      causal people visiting the battlefields than the buffs, some type of
      interpretation is needed for them to understand. A lot of the monuments at
      Gettysburg tell a story (through their dedication) of the role of the rgt in
      the battle that we might not have otherwise. Also they tell of obscure
      incidents which are might never had been told (like Sally of the 11th Pa)

      Trying to
      > get a better vision of what it was like. Some people however take it to
      far
      > and these new monuments are the result of it. They think that by getting
      > permanent monument placed on a battlefield that they are now permanently
      > connected to that battle. That's not the case however. All they've done
      is
      > graffitied the battlefield except instead of using spray paint they've
      used
      > granite and bronze.
      >
      > Brian
      >
      > > Well, with all this talk of being against new monuments, I hope folks
      > don't put the 90th Pa monument in that category. The monument which
      will be
      > dedicated at 12:30 on Sept 18th is a replacement for the original
      monument
      > placed on the battlefield by the veterans themselves.
      > > I know some folks are against any monuments, but in my opinion, if the
      > veterans put them there - the monuments are as much a part of the
      > battlefield as anything else. It is part of the history and the reason
      for
      > saving these battlefields. The monuments are a concrete expression of
      how
      > the veterans felt and remembered the land that they risk their all.
      > > Paula

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.