1389Re: Interrogating a witness tree

  • tjrhys62
    Jun 30, 2004
      Hi Brian,

      Looks like the Burnside's Bridge sycamore may very well be a witness
      tree, judging by specs found at
      http://www.2020site.org/trees/sycamore.html Have a look.

      However, documenting such things seems impossible aside from locale.
      The tree depicted in the postwar (Forbes?) engraving, compared to
      current size and breadth, strongly suggests a logical growth
      progession.

      Suffice it to say that odds are more in favor of it being the real
      thing. If it could only talk... despite recent injury.

      Tim

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Morris"
      <ironbrigade@k...> wrote:
      > Found this website recently that purports to show witness trees to
      certain
      > Civil War battles. Some I know are correct such as the Baltimore
      St.
      > Sycamores and Locust tree in the Cemetery in Gettysburg but the
      website also
      > makes claims about the White Oaks at the Copse of Trees which I
      know are not
      > old enough to be witness trees.
      > http://www.bivouacbooks.com/bbv2i1s4.htm
      >
      > For the Antietam Battlefirld they show a picture of the Sycamore
      that sits
      > alongside the Burnside Bridge and then show a picture taken
      shortly after
      > the battle that shows a tree in that same area. OK, I'm not a big
      tree
      > expert here but I've stood next to that tree by the Burnside
      Bridge and it
      > does not strike me as a 140+ year old tree. Just because there was
      a tree in
      > that general location in 1862 doesn't make the one there in 2004
      the very
      > same tree.
      >
      > Is that tree next to the bridge a witness tree or do we have
      someone jumping
      > to conclusions here based off of two trees being in a similar area
      140 years
      > apart?
      >
      > Brian
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic