1353Re: Gathland

  • tjrhys62
    May 2 7:45 AM
      Hi Richard,

      Local historical site terminology is exhaustively long and
      habitually confusing, so I mercifully resort to abbreviation. "CG"
      stands for Crampton's Gap, "SMSB" is short form for South Mountain
      State Battlefield per House Bill 1183, 2000 Regular Session of the
      Maryland General Assembly.

      One can also use SM for the northern battlefield, also TG and FG for
      its respective gaps. Making matters worse, I've resorted to the
      abbreviation "GGSBP" concerning the Gathland name change
      ("Crampton's Gap State Battlefield Park"). Clear as mud, right? It's
      a complicated mountain.

      All this is spelled out with lots of maps in my next book coming out
      next month--which isn't a sales pitch. Libraries will have it soon
      enough. Borrow it. Ed Bearss wrote the foreword.

      Tim

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic