1328Re: South Mountain

  • tjrhys62
    Apr 28 8:10 AM
      South Mountain is being developed as we speak! Most damage is
      occurring at Turner's Gap where most of the land along D.H. Hill's
      left flank has been parceled out for sale. Lots are already selling
      along Dahlgren and Frosttown roads. The latter was recently repaved
      to accommodate new home builders. Fox's Gap is in better shape, but
      hopelessly entangled in a complex mosaic of public/private
      ownership, unlikely to be unraveled. Whoever came up with the idea
      of S. Mtn. State Battlefield was obviously hallucinating. It's a
      latter-day tragedy. And preservation easements, in the long run,
      won't be worth the paper they're written on, a band aid over a gash.

      Tim Reese